The Smartbook is a quick and easy to read reference guide for CIL staff that contains useful information that makes it easier to do our jobs smarter!
The Disability Network/Michigan Smartbook
1.Disability Network/Michigan Membership
2. History, Philosophy & Basics of Living
3. Statewide Partners & Their Roles
4. Board Governance
5. Financial Management
7. Grant Reporting
8. Lobbying & Solicitation
9. Schedule/Calendar of Important Dates and Deadlines
10. Other Resources
- AAPD - American Association of People with Disabilities is the largest nonprofit cross disability member organization in the U.S. It is dedicated to ensuring economic self-sufficiency and political empowerment for the more than 45 million Americans with disabilities
- ADA Great Lakes - Provides information, materials, technical assistance and training on the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). Resources and technical assistance available on-line and via telephone: (800) 949-4232.
- ADAPT - Americans with Disabilities for Attendant Programs Today focuses nationally on promoting community-based living instead of warehousing people with disabilities in institutions and nursing homes
- Center for Self-Determination - Offers assistance to individuals and organizations that are attempting to change their systems of support based on the self-determination principles
- CIL Management Center - Provides resources for CILs
- ConstantContact.com - Email and newsletter management tool
- Disability History Timeline from 3500 B.C. to the present
- Disability History Museum - Their mission is to promote understanding about the historical experience of people with disabilities by recovering, chronicling, and interpreting their stories
- Disability Rights Movement Exhibit - From the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. Sections include: The Movement, Dissent, Technology, Touchable Objects, Self Definition, Mobility, The ADA, Parents Organize, Hey Kids!
- http://www.dol.gov/Disability statistics
- http://www.foundationcenter.org/ Resources for fundraising, planning, etc.
- GrantsAlert.com - grant finding assistance
- http://www.wnyilp.org/RRTCILM/index.html- The Western New York Independent Living Project has a “CIL Management Center” which offers publications, training materials, and other resources for CIL’s. Highly recommended.
- www.Michigan.gov/censuswww.census.gov Disability statistics
- www.nod.org Disability statistics
- www.statedata.info disability statistics
- NCIL - National Council on Independent Living is a national membership organization that advances independent living and the rights of people with disabilities through consumer-driven advocacy
- Groundspring.org - Internet, email, and advocacy for nonprofits
- NetworkForGood.org - Internet, email, and advocacy for nonprofits
- ILRU - Independent Living Research Utilization is a national center for information, training, research, and technical assistance on independent living
- IL Net - A collaborative project of the ILRU and NCIL focused on national training and technical assistance to strengthen the IL movement by supporting CIL's and SILC's directors, managers, and staff
- NOD - National Organization on Disability provides the latest in disability related news, information, and resources
- Michigan Nonprofit Association
- Not Dead Yet - Advocacy group opposing physician assisted suicide
- WID - World Institute on Disability is a nonprofit research, training, and public policy center promoting the civil rights and full societal inclusion of people with disabilities